Nominated for: BEST Landmark
The Athenæum's collections resided briefly in Joy's buildings, Congress Street, but by the spring of 1807 were firmly established in Scollay's buildings, Tremont Street, near the present Government Center. The Athenæum remained there until 1809, when the Trustees purchased the Rufus Amory House, adjacent to the King's Chapel Burial Ground at what was then the easternmost point of the Boston Common. In 1822 the growing collections were moved again, this time to the mansion in Pearl Street given to the Athenæum by Trustee James Perkins. The first three floors of the present Beacon Street building, designed by Edward Clarke Cabot, were constructed between 1847 and 1849. The first floor was originally a sculpture gallery, the second housed the library's growing collection of books, and the third, with skylights, served as a painting gallery. The building was completely renovated in 1913-1914, at which time the fourth and fifth floors were added and the entire structure fireproofed. Architect Henry Forbes Bigelow designed these improvements.
Charlestown Navy Yard Charlestown Navy Yard Charlestown
Boston Public Library Boston Public Library Back Bay
Faneuil Hall Market Place Faneuil Hall Market Place Downtown
Copp's Hill Burying Ground Copp's Hill Burying Ground North End